Preventive dental care allows Dr. Helma Philips to maintain your overall oral health. Perhaps the most common type of preventive dental care includes good oral hygiene and visiting your dentist for regularly scheduled exams and cleanings.
Why Is Preventive Dentistry Important?
Preventive dental care in Midtown NYC is vital for having healthy and beautiful teeth and gums throughout your life. However, your dentist alone cannot ensure your oral health and well-being. Each person must play an active role in their oral health outside of the dental office.
Preventive dental care reduces the risk of tooth decay, gum disease, oral infections, and other conditions. Because our oral health is directly linked to our general health, maintaining a healthy mouth also reduces the risk of heart disease, stroke, diabetes, and more.
Standard preventive dentistry services include:
- Regular oral health exams, usually every six months
- Professional teeth cleanings
- Routine dental x-rays
Fluoride and sealants are also preventive as they strengthen teeth and lock debris away from enamel.
Tips for Maintaining a Healthy Smile
- Brush twice daily with a soft-bristled toothbrush and fluoride toothpaste.
- Floss at least once daily.
- Regularly rinse with mouthwash.
- Eat a nutritious diet.
- Do not use your teeth as tools to open packages or untwist bottle tops.
- Avoid smoking or using tobacco products.
- Wear a nightguard if you grind or clench your teeth during sleep.
- Wear a protective mouthguard when participating in sports.
At the dental office of Helma Philips, DDS, we can help you maintain and protect your smile’s health and appearance for life. Contact us today to schedule your next dental exam and cleaning in Midtown.